Unable to disable Windows Defender when third-party anti-virus is installed
Unable to disable Windows Defender even when third-party anti-virus is installed in the computer. Windows Defender is the anti-virus software provided by Microsoft in Windows 10 / 8 / 7 and Vista Operating System. Generally, when any third party anti-virus application is installed in the computer, Windows Defender will automatically disable itself. We can also enable or disable Windows Defender manually but it is not possible to remove it from the computer.
With the installation of any third party anti-virus application, the Windows Defender will disable automatically. If in case, third party anti-virus installed in the computer not working properly, then Windows Defender will enable automatically. But, sometimes, even if any third-party anti-virus is installed in the computer, Windows Defender keeps on running without getting disabled.
Follow the below troubleshooting steps in order to fix the issue with unable to disable Windows Defender.
- Go to Control Panel and click on Security and Maintenance.
2. Try to disable Windows Firewall from here. If it is not working, proceed with the further troubleshooting steps.
3. The Real-Time protection and Cloud-based protection may not also get disabled automatically as well as manually.
4. Perform the Clean Boot and reboot the computer, if the issue still persists, check for any unwanted application and remove them.
5. There are a chances that Windows Defender might be corrupted, in order to fix the issue, try to Run System File Checker scan (SFC scan).
6. If there is some Group Policy in force, then too this can happen. This is part that you will have to check for yourself.
7. The group policy related registry keys are located at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects
8. If the issues are not fixed even after performing all the troubleshooting steps, try to run the Tweaking Scan.