Audio service is not running – Windows 10/8.1/8 and Win7
The Audio service is not running. When you try to restart the service, it may not get started and display an error.
This issue with the audio service is not running may occur when the Windows Audio required dependence services are not running or disable or corrupted.
- Windows Audio task bar icons may say “Windows Audio service is not running” and speakers could not work. Could not start Windows Audio service.
- Red X on the speaker in the tray.
- Click the Start Button, type services.msc in the Search Bar and press Enter to start Services.
- In the right pane, please check whether the Windows Audio service is started.
3. If not, please double click the service. In the tab “General “, make sure the “Startup Type” is “Automatic”. Then please click the button “Start” under “Service Status” to start this service.
If the service cannot be started, please also check the following services:
- Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
- Multimedia Class Scheduler
- Windows Audio Endpoint Builder
Also, you can run audio Trouble-shooter.
You can run the audio trouble-shooter by going to Start -> Control Panel -> Troubleshooting -> Troubleshooting audio playback -> Follow the wizard to complete the troubleshoot.
If the issue still persists, perform a Clean Boot and then check if the Audio service is running.
If the issue still persists, the services may be corrupted, run Tweaking scan to fix all the corrupted services as well as to reset the file permissions.
You can download the Tweaking Tool from the below link: