System slow performance – Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8 and Win 7
System slow performance. Windows Operating System may become slow when multiple application are installed. The Performance may also get affected due to various factors. Mainly, the system performance will get affected when the computer is infected by virus infection. The virus infection can be affected to the computer by most of the third party application available online. So, it is not recommended to install any third-party or any unknown application in the computer.
The system slow performance can be fixed by performing certain troubleshooting steps in order to remove the virus infection from the computer. Follow the below troubleshooting steps to fix the issue with system slow performance.
Step 1: Delete all temporary files running in background
- Press Windows logo+ R keys on the keyboard to open Run Window, type temp, %temp%, Prefetch at each time, open it and delete all the files present in it.
2. If you get an option Try Again or Skip, Select the option Skip.
Step 2: Perform Disk cleanup
- Remove all the unwanted files present in the C drive by performing disk cleanup to improve the system performance.
- Open Windows logo + R keys on the keyboard to open Run Window, type cleanmgr and press enter. Select C drive and click on OK.
3. It will scan for all the unwanted files present in the C drive and gives you a report.
4. Select all the options available in the report and click on OK, it will prompt you to delete all the files. Click on OK.
5. The Disk Cleanup will initiate and the screen will disappear once it is completed.
Step 3: Run a virus scan
Scan the computer for the virus infection. Even though you have any antivirus in the computer, you can run a one-time virus scan using any one of the below tools.
Step 4: Remove unwanted application
- If the computer is always connected to the Internet, unknowingly due to some ads and pop ups, unwanted programs will get installed in the computer. Also, because of this, some toolbars and extension will be added to the browsers which affects the performance.
- Open Run window and type appwiz.cpl to open the list of all the installed application in the computer. Check out for any toolbars and if you found any, remove them.
- Please ignore Microsoft named files in the list if installed application, and if you found any program unrelated or unknown, remove it by double clicking on it.
- Once all the unwanted application are removed, reboot the computer.
Step 5: Perform clean boot
Clean boot is performed to boot the computer with a minimal set of the drivers and programs in order to fix the issue with the system slow performance.
- Press Windows logo + R keys on the keyboard to open Run Window, type msconfig and press enter.
2. System Configuration window will open, click on Services tab and check the option Hide all Microsoft Services at the bottom before performing any task in that.
3. Uncheck all the unwanted services and which have been already stopped and then click on Startup tab. Once it is opened, click on Task Manager.
4. Disable all the startup items which are enabled, so that the startup will be more effective. Once it is done, click on OK. Computer will prompt you for reboot. Reboot the computer once.
Step 6: Update the Anti-Virus application
It is recommended to have the latest updates for anti-virus application to increase more security levels for the computer. Open the anti-virus program installed in the computer, check for the updates. If any updates found, install them.
By following all the above troubleshooting steps, the system performance will be more effective.