Error 80240016 while installing Windows Updates in Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1
Error 80240016 when you try to install Windows Updates. If you receive error 80240016 when you try installing Windows Updates, it means that some other installation is already in progress. Wait till the installation get completed and then try to install the other Windows Updates.
If you are not sure which application is running in the background process, check the notification area at the taskbar for the further information. Make sure that all the services related to the Windows Updates are restarted and are in automatic mode. If still error 80240016 appears during the Windows updates installation follow the below resolution steps.
Follow the below resolution steps in order to fix the issue with the Error 80240016.
- Open Command Prompt with Admin permission and copy paste the below commands one by one.
net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
2. This will stop Background Intelligent Transfer service and Windows Update Service.
3. Now go to the location C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder and delete all the files present in the folder.
4. If you get any error like Files are in use, reboot the computer and then try to delete all the files present in that folder.
5. Once the folder becomes empty, we need to restart Background Intelligent Transfer service and Windows Update Service.
6. To do that, open command prompt with Admin permission and type the below two commands one by one
net start wuauserv
net start bits
7. Once the services are restarted, try to run the Windows Updates and hopefully this will work and updates will get installed in the computer.
If the issue still persists, the services might be corrupted, need to run the Tweaking scan to fix the issue with the corrupted services.
You can download the Tweaking tool from the below link: