Windows Update stuck downloading updates – Windows 10
Windows Update stuck downloading updates. When you try to install Windows Updates, it will get stuck at certain percentage, sometimes also at 0% and will not proceed further. If you try to stop it and start, again it may get stuck at the same point or some other point as well and will remain same for hours.
Windows Update stuck at some point and will not proceed further even though there are lots of updates available to install.
In order to fix the issue with the Windows update stuck downloading the Updates, follow the below troubleshooting steps:
To troubleshoot the issue, you can follow either Method 1 or Method 2
1. Press Windows logo + R keys on the keyboard and type services.msc and press enter.
5. Once the folder name is changed, again go to the services, open Windows Update service, at the startup type, select Automatic and restart the service.
6. Then try to install Windows Updates, Updates will install without any issues this time.
Instead of going to the services and disabling the Windows update service, the same can be done using the command prompt.
- Open Command Prompt with Admin permission and copy paste the below commands one by one.
net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
2. This will stop Background Intelligent Transfer service and Windows Update Service.
3. Now go to the location C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder and delete all the files present in the folder.
4. If you get any error like Files are in use, reboot the computer and then try to delete all the files present in that folder.
5. Once the folder becomes empty, we need to restart Background Intelligent Transfer service and Windows Update Service.
6. To do that, open command prompt with Admin permission and type the below two commands one by one
net start wuauserv
net start bits
7. Once the services are restarted, try to run the Windows Updates and hopefully this will work and updates will get installed in the computer.